Risk Management Resources
As volunteers for the state of Virginia, our volunteers have certain obligations to ensure their safety and the safety of the populations they serve. Below, you will find documentation to guide you through the risk management procedures for our program.
Volunteer Enrollment Form: This document is for use by individual volunteers and at the chapter level. It includes the minimum information required to officially accept and enroll volunteers in the program. Chapters may choose to add additional questions to this form. Chapters may format the document differently, as long as the required text and questions remain the same.
Volunteer Screening: These documents are useful tools for when your Chapter Training or Selection Committee is interviewing potential class participants. Besides the signed Enrollment Form (above), the interviewing of the potential trainee and their references are mandatory parts of the VMN screening process.
Important to read before interviewing candidates and their references. This document will give you examples of questions to ask potential class participants, and ones to ask their References. In this, you'll also find unlawful questions NOT to ask.
- Volunteer Incident Report Form (MS Word): This document should be used under the guidance of the chapter advisor in the event of an accident or incident involving a Virginia Master Naturalist program participant (either a volunteer or a participant in a program led by a volunteer).
- Every Virginia Master Naturalist volunteer should receive basic training relating to risk management as part of the basic training course. Any chapter coordinator or advisor is qualified and welcome to use this Powerpoint presentation, script, and set of handouts to provide the risk management training.
- Risk Management for Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteers Powerpoint presentation (MS Powerpoint file)
- Risk Management for Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteers presentation script (MS Word file)
- Risk Management for Virginia Master Naturalist Volunteers handouts:
- Planning for the Best and the Worst (MS Word file) (also in Volunteer Policy Handbook)
- Allegations of Abuse (MS Word file)
- Emergency Procedure Cards - Appendix IX in Volunteer Policy Handbook, or available on the VCE website.
- Volunteer Incident Report Form (MS Word) (also in Volunteer Policy Handbook
- Commonwealth of VA Insurance Coverage for Volunteers (PDF)